Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

Kevin McNeil, Sports Information Director

Dan 'Buddah' Snyder, Cheers and Jeers Writer

There is only so much I can say about the snow. Yes, it’s cold. Yes, there is a lot of it. Are people ever going to stop complaining about it? No. So I have three words for you: get over it. Just thank God it’s February and we are a mere two months away from a few of the biggest holidays of the year. That’s right. I’m starting the ambiguous Dolphy Day counter right now. Whoever the wizard may be has a lot riding on him [or her] as we await the warmer months. We also have St. Patricks Day, spring break, and Cinco de Mayo… sense a theme here? So toughen up for another month or so, enjoy the snow and pray for warmer weather in March. I heard it’s gonna be almost 40 degrees this week. That’s enough weather for today, now on to current events.

Cheer of the Week: To Nathaniel Henry

Steve Evans did some recruiting and added a new member to Le Moyne’s Mens Basketball team to help them with the rest of their season. What makes this player so special though? His battle is being fought off the court, rather than on it.

Nathaniel Henry is a six year old from Cazenovia, NY. He is a part of the program entitled Team IMPACT, which pairs children suffering from life threatening illnesses to college sports teams in the area. Henry was diagnosed with leukemia in 2012 and has been undergoing treatments ever since right here in Syracuse. The Dolphins held a press conference for their newest Dolphin last week and has already joined the team on the bench in their last few games.

Hopefully the Dolphins can continue their run into the playoffs on a hot streak and allow Henry to enjoy the rest of the season with the team. Here’s to a speedy recovery Nathaniel!

Jeer of the Week: To Poor Plowing

Last time I checked this was winter. Now I understand that this winter has had more snow than the north pole, but wouldn’t that mean that we should be more prepared?

My professor told me he woke up at 5am, for a 9:30 class. He lives 10 minutes away. So I guess this jeer is not a knock on those in charge of plowing the streets, but one in disguise on how the school should cancel classes if the conditions are dangerous.

Cheers to T.J. Oshie

Who the hell is T.J. Oshie? To the untrained ear, hearing that name would make you think of an insurance salesman or an attorney. But to all of those who watched USA Hockey (and to the six St. Louis Blues fans in the NHL) he is the newest American hero.

USA found themselves in a 2-2 draw at the end of regulation time against host country Russia. After five minutes of overtime play, a shootout was next. Under Olympic rules, after three rounds, teams can repeat shooters. Oshie came out first. Goal. Four more shooters came out and were denied until Russia’s Ilya Kovalchuk scored. Oshie’s next attempt was saved but quickly came back scoring the remainder of the shootout goals and propelled USA to a 3-2 win.

On six attempts, T.J. scored four times. In no way can this be compared to the Miracle on Ice in 1980, as the US was not as large as an underdog. However, the Russians were heavy favorites going into the games, and find themselves sitting two points below the the stars and stripes. ‘Merica!

Jeers to The NBA All Star Weekend

No wonder David Stern retired. This Association is going down and going down fast. Even a fair weather NBA fan can tell that the new commish, Adam Silver has his hands full.

This past weekend was the NBA’s annual all-star weekend. The festivities included the Rising Stars Challenge – Freshman vs. Sophomores, the Skills Challenge, The Three Point Contest, the Dunk Contest, and the All Star game. Throw in a musical performance or two and it looks like the MTV Music Awards with sports thrown in. I used to be excited for this weekend every year. My father made it a point to watch it in his day, back when it was about the game and the players, not about looking flashy. The All Star game in itself is almost as bad as the NFL Pro Bowl. There is no defense and it’s becoming a struggle to watch.

I think the best part was the musical performance before the game. Only because of Nelly and P Diddy–I mean Puff Daddy, I mean Sean Combs’–performance before the game. And Pharrell was pretty decent too…

• Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

Top 10 Albums of 2017

• Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

First Date: The Musical: a Must See at the PAC

• Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

Top 5 Films About Hollywood

• Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

Come See Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at LeMoyne’s Performing Arts Center

• Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

The Most Anticipated Movies of October

• Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

Paul McCartney Brings Beatlemania to Syracuse

• Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

Emmy 2017 Predictions

• Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

• Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

• Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014

Cheers and Jeers – 02.20.2014