Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

Nate Reynolds

Daniel "Buddah" Snyder '14, Cheers and Jeers Writer

Cheer of the Week: Nate Reynolds

Most of the time when a friend is in need…people will step up. That’s just the way it is. But then there are some people that go above and beyond expectations, and show what a true friend really is. Nate Reynolds is that guy.

When his best friend and teammate, Pat Wiese, was diagnosed with cancer, Nate took that as an opportunity to step up and make a difference. On Saturday, the men’s basketball team squared off against Mansfield…. but that wasn’t even the highlight of the evening. At halftime, Pat was presented with a check for $5,000 in his name because of the fundraising done by Nate. Nate went out of his way to help his fellow outfielder and give Pat yet another reason to fight.

Here’s to you, Nate. There aren’t too many other Dolphins who show what it takes to be a great friend and person like you. We’ll see you at Trivia!

Jeer of the YEAR: Cortaca

The Ithaca-Cortland football game… one the biggest games of the year around upstate NY. Or for those who aren’t playing in the game, an excuse to drink your faces off and celebrate what…football? Sounds like a regular Sunday to me.

Cups, broken bottles, trash – it looked like a wild hotel party gone rogue. When you hear about flipping cars in the streets and creating a public disturbance through the grapevine, that’s one thing. But when the president of your college has to get up in front of newscasters to apologize on behalf of the entire population, that’s a whole different level.  When’s the last time Freddy P. or any ex-LMC prez apologized for our behavior on Dolphy Day?

Dolphy Day is a day that everyone on campus magically becomes best friends with each other. Cortaca looked like a day everyone magically becomes a drunken asshole. There were riots, broken bottles being thrown, people getting injured, 80 people arrested, and police in riot gear called to restore order. At Le Moyne, we even have a cleanup crew to clean up campus at the end of the day.

I hope you enjoyed your riots, though, Cortland. It’s too bad about Cortaca next year. Maybe you could learn a thing or two about partying from your Jesuit friends up north.

Cheers to college basketball

At the beginning of every sports season, I celebrate it because I’m obsessed and that’s how I roll.

And the good thing about basektball is that you don’t have to have a favorite team to love it. You can pick a team at the beginning and root for them the entire season. In professional sports, you don’t see upsets every so often. But at the college level, you can have a no name team from Northern Iowa defeat the number one team in the nation.

College basketball shows that the little guys can compete on the national level. Why do you think the NCAA devotes an entire month to the sport?

Jeers to group projects

“Okay class, you have a week to work on this project and I want you to work in pairs” My reaction…Dammit. There are two types of scenarios that play out. You can either pick your group or have the professor assign people to each group. Either way… it’s bad. Sure, your grade might be decent… but the way you got there? Terrible. Nobody can meet at the same time, and the one time your group decides to meet, you can’t because of work or that intramural game you just have to play in. To top it all off,  there is always that one person who tries to take over and so makes the process miserable for everyone.

So next time your professor assigns you a group project, if the workload isn’t too much, work alone. You’ll save yourself a lot more time and won’t wanna rip your partners’ head off.

• Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

Top 10 Albums of 2017

• Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

First Date: The Musical: a Must See at the PAC

• Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

Top 5 Films About Hollywood

• Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

Come See Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at LeMoyne’s Performing Arts Center

• Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

The Most Anticipated Movies of October

• Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

Paul McCartney Brings Beatlemania to Syracuse

• Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

Emmy 2017 Predictions

• Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

• Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

• Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013

Cheers and Jeers – 11.21.2013