Music Journalism Column

Lil Pump’s newest release Harverd Dropout is extremely formulaic and provides more lackluster performances than his debut. Lil Pump is not a lyrical rapper by any means, let alone a rapper with much to say at all. Going into this project I had no expectations besides having at least a little fun listening to it, especially since this release has been through multiple delays and I don’t feel like I had much fun.
If you’ve heard any of the singles up to this point, you’ve heard nearly every track on this record since they all are structured the same way and contain the same formula. Which results in every new song on this LP coming off as more of the same. However, what mostly kills this record is Pumps ridiculous bars and awful vocal deliveries such as on the songs “I Love It”, “Vroom Vroom Vroom”, “Off white”, and “Who Dat”. “Drop Out” is yet another example and the opening song on this project perfectly shows the awful pronunciation you will hear on the previously mentioned tracks. Even how he says “Drop Out” is annoying. The production on this release is filled with run of the mill and average Soundcloud trap beats that have been regurgitated as much as the lyrical content Lil Pump has.
This album also contains features from many large names in rap. The only real standout features are from Lil Wayne on “Be Like Me”, due to his performance being longer than thirty seconds. As well as, Smokepurpp on the track “ION”, which shows great chemistry from everyone involved in its making. There are some highlights on this release, however, a majority of them were the singles leading up to the release of this album and only a few of the new tracks were worthwhile. I’m referring to the tracks “ION” featuring Smokepurpp and “Nu Uh” that show Lil Pump coming through with the energy and catchy hooks he’s known for having in his music.
Overall this release feels very uninspired and messy with lackluster performances from Lil Pump along with a few of the features, primarily from Offset and Quavo of Migos.

Music Journalism Column