48 Hour Film Project

More stories from Loredana Anastas

Five Le Moyne College students participated for the first time in the Syracuse Film Festival’s 48-hour filmmaking challenge against two other colleges.

Le Moyne’s 48-hour film “The White Lady,” a horror genre, was awarded second place by the judges at the Syracuse Film Festival.

On Oct. 12, a team of Le Moyne communication students started the filmmaking process.
According to Julie Grossman, Professor and Director of Film Studies at Le Moyne, this is the 14th year Le Moyne has been involved in the Syracuse Film Festival.

“Le Moyne has a group of students, five students, who wrote, filmed and edited a film, a short film in 48 hours,” Grossman said. “It was really exciting. The students were so creative and efficient, obviously, and so energized by the project. I am excited that their film will be shown at the film festival,” she said.

This opportunity for these five students was made possible by the film’s studies budget, according to Grossman.

According to Grossman, the film was shown at the Red House Theater on Saturday and was free to Le Moyne students with their college ID.

Jessica Schafer, a communications major, writer, script supervisor and chief editor for the film, said, “It was really more of a week-long preparation for 48 hours of crunch.” According to Schafer, she and her team started planning out what genre film they wanted to pursue prior to starting the competition. “We ended up getting pretty lucky with the prop and the location because we were able to make it fit in the story we wanted to tell,” Schafer said. “This major is so dependent on having experience, rather than having high flying grades,” said Shafer. “Grades are important, of course. I don’t want to say they are not important, but the experience is so invaluable in this field.”

Daniel Satterly, a communications major, director, and producer for the film, said, “It was really beneficial, and we learned a lot….Walking away from that, I know exactly what I need to do to make my next film look good. Especially seeing the competition on what they brought to the game, that was eye-opening,” He continued, “It was a lot of work and it was stressful, but it was like that fun stressful, where you’re like I’m really really tired and it’s 2 o’clock in the morning but this is great”.

Grossman said Le Moyne will continue to work with Syracuse University on developing programs for students in the communication department. “We are working with SU and other colleges and universities on programs that are also supported by the humanities corridor,” Grossman said.

48 Hour Film Project