Review of ACM The Awards

More stories from Sabrina Riley

Photo Courtesy of Rolling Stone.

Photo Courtesy of Rolling Stone.

Photo Courtesy of Rolling Stone.

The annual Academy of Country Music Awards went down in Las Vega this past Sunday and the night belonged to Miranda Lambert. The singer made history by winning in the Female Vocalist field for the eighth straight time, surpassing Reba McEntire with her seven wins. Lambert also collected her fifth trophy for Album of the Year, The Weight of These Wings, adding to her already extensive trophy shelf––which is probably a closet by now. The singer-songwriter credited her divorce from Blake Shelton as the inspiration for her album. She later performed an emotional rendition of “Tin Man” from the record.

Jason Aldean was also a big winner of the evening, receiving Entertainer of the Year for the second year in a row. Aldean was honored to receive the award from Joe Walsh, saying “One of the Eagles just gave me an award. That’s one of the coolest things that has happened to me ever… I am so thankful.”

For the past three years, Florida Georgia Line has stole the show by winning Vocal Duo of the Year. However, their winning streak was broken by Brothers Osborne, who also won in the New Vocal Duo/Group of the Year category. While Brian Kelley and Tyler Hubbard didn’t win Vocal Duo of the Year, they still walked away with a couple awards over the weekend. The two superstars walked away with Single of the Year for their chart-topping “H.O.L.Y.,” and also won Vocal Event of the Year for “May We All,” with the help of Tim McGraw. Florida Georgia Line also teamed up with the Backstreet Boys for a killer performance during the awards ceremony.  The groups performed FGL’s new single, “God, Your Mama and Me,” and the classic Backstreet Boys song, “Everybody.” This was just a preview for what will come this summer when they will perform in several concerts together.

Thomas Rhett had two big wins at the ACM awards. His romantic single, “Die a Happy Man,” which he co-wrote with Sean Douglas and Joe Spargur, won the Song of the Year award. He dedicated the song to his wife, Lauren, who was sitting in the audience glowing from her visible pregnancy. Not only did Rhett win Song of the Year, but he also triumphed over a crowded list in the Male Vocalist category. This was the first time he ever won this award and he was extremely grateful, “Everyone in this category shaped the artist that I am. I try to be the best singer I can,” Rhett said.

The hosts, Luke Bryan and Dierks Bentley opened up the award show with bang and kept the evening rolling smoothly with their hilarious personalities. They began the ceremony with showing the audience some pictures of themselves fishing [well, trying to fish]. Later on, the men embraced the Vegas atmosphere by putting on their own show of Thunder From Down Under. Bryan and Bentley showed off their biceps, but Bryan couldn’t get accepted into the show [which he blamed on Keith Urban]. All in all, the duo put on quite a performance for the 2017 ACM Awards.

• Review of ACM The Awards

• Review of ACM The Awards

• Review of ACM The Awards

• Review of ACM The Awards

It is Time to Say Goodbye, ‘Melo

• Review of ACM The Awards

Opinion

Through My Spectacles: Le Moyne Was Everything

• Review of ACM The Awards

Who’s The 2017 King of Hip-Hop?

• Review of ACM The Awards

Le Moyne Women’s Lacrosse extends win streak to 14

• Review of ACM The Awards

• Review of ACM The Awards

The Middle States Team Comes to Le Moyne for Accreditation Review

• Review of ACM The Awards

New Student Film Luddite to Premiere April 26

Review of ACM The Awards