Navigating College Stress: Effective Strategies and Le Moyne Resources for Student Well-being
Mai Aljanabi, Staff Writer • September 27, 2023

College life presents unique challenges and stressors for students, impacting their mental well-being and overall success. This article delves...

via The Huntington
Persistence Into Brilliance: Le Moyne Graduate and Actor Makes Major Mark
Kamilla Shahzad, Staff Writer • September 26, 2023

In the world of theater, Le Moyne College graduate John Douglas Thompson is known to possess an exceptional ability to captivate audiences, effortlessly...

via newbaseballmedia.com
Le Moyne Alum and MLB Star Josiah Gray Nominated for Roberto Clemente Award
Michael Scalise, Staff Writer • September 25, 2023

Here at Le Moyne, the phrase “Greatness meets Goodness” is at the very foundation by which the school stands, and it is safe to say that...

Career Advising & Development at Le Moyne
Carly Nicolai, Editor in Chief • September 18, 2023

“What do you want to do with your degree?” It’s a question many college students have heard before, whether it comes from friends and...

Growing Sunshine-Colored Flowers: Remembering Father Bosch
Stephanie R. Duscher, Staff Writer • September 16, 2023

Many Le Moyne students have likely walked by the lovely gardens outside the Jesuit Residence–a beautiful touch of color amidst the many cloudy...

Major Arcana takes a look at “Those Awkward Places

The gist of student-run theater group Major Arcana’s latest production is right there in the title, “Those Awkward Places,” an improvised, comedic look at the odd, sometimes uncomfortable encounters we have with strangers in various locations (e.g. a public restroom). The show, which runs an hour with no intermission, is written and directed by junior theater arts and English major Ryan Bannen, who was fascinated by the idea of interacting with people we don’t know.

“It always amused me that we go to these places where we meet these strangers,” Bannen said. “We don’t know anything about them and we will never see them again. [The show has] no specific protagonist, just people. People you meet every day.”

According to Bannen, incorporating improvisation into the show allows for more opportunities in creating both characters and comedy.

“I’ve always liked improv,” he explained. “The funniest moments in film or on stage or TV tend to be the ones that are improvised and there’s a real desire from students here to do improv. It’s something new and something different for them to experience.

“There is a script, but there’s a lot of details the actors came up with themselves,” Bannen continued. “They’re really getting into these characters and doing these crazy things. I want the audience to pay attention to [these] details; every audience member will see a different show.”

Instead of the read-through and table work that typically takes place at the beginning of the rehearsal process, Bannen organized a couple of workshops on character-building and took the cast out on an unusual field trip.

“I took the cast to Destiny USA and I had them ‘people-watch’ in the food court,” he said. “They took notes on what they saw. I then looked at those notes, took what I liked and rearranged them. [Through rehearsals], more and more of the dialogue and actions were improvised.”

Although he serves as writer and director, Bannen acknowledges that the cast deserves a lot of credit for the show’s material.

“The actors did their own blocking,” he explained. “I transformed that into a specific staging. [They] would come up to me with questions about the characters, and I would say, ‘What do you think?’ These are their characters, not mine.”

Bannen hopes the show will make audiences reflect on their own awkward interactions.

“I want the audience to obviously enjoy themselves,” he noted. “But I want them to think about the people they’ve encountered that they don’t even know. I want to make them as if they’re just there, observing. There’s so much you can learn by observing someone.”

“Those Awkward Places” runs March 21, 22 and 23 at 8 p.m. with a 2 p.m. family matinee on March 23. All performances will take place in the Dance Studio at the W. Carroll Coyne Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets are free, but seating is limited.DSCN5680 2