Walsh Throws No-Hitter, ‘Phins Win 3 Games over Weekend

lemoynedolphins.com
lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

The Le Moyne College baseball team went 3-1 over the weekend as they traveled to LIU Post for back-to-back doubleheaders. A span of about 30 hours saw the Dolphins launch a grand slam and toss a no-hitter. Not a bad couple of days at the office.

In Saturday’s doubleheader, Le Moyne split their two games with the Pioneers. The day’s first game saw LIU Post pull out a 3-1 victory over the Dolphins. Sophomore designated hitter Camillo Spinoso accounted for the only run of the game for Le Moyne, hitting an RBI double in the sixth inning that scored right fielder Brian Cox. Senior pitcher Damian Powers picked up the loss in the game for the Dolphins, giving up three earned runs in five and two-thirds innings. He tallied seven strikeouts.

Le Moyne bounced back strong in the second game as sophomore shortstop/pitcher Josiah Gray launched his first career grand slam, leading the Dolphins to a 5-2 victory. Freshman second baseman Nicholas Jacques added to the fireworks with a solo homerun of his own in the top of the sixth inning, the first of his career.  

Graduate transfer pitcher Sean Pisik continued his winning ways by picking up his fourth win of the season, moving his record to a perfect 4-0. In what was a suitable ending, Josiah Gray came in and picked up his fifth save of the season on the mound to cap off his impressive afternoon.

Sunday saw Le Moyne play some of its best baseball of the season as they didn’t allow a run in either game and fans were treated to one of the few no-hitters in program history.

In the first game of the day, the Dolphins beat the Pioneers of LIU Post by a final score of 2-0. Sophomore first baseman Nick Place had an RBI sacrifice fly in the first inning to bring in the first run. Le Moyne would tack on another run in the fifth inning on a bases-loaded walk that scored third baseman Ben Walsh.

Junior pitcher Alex Kubera picked up his fourth win on the season as he threw six scoreless innings and struck out six batters, allowing only four hits. Gray shut it down once again for the Dolphins, picking up his sixth save of the year and second of the weekend.

The man with ice water in his veins on this day was sophomore pitcher Sam Walsh as he threw his first career no-hitter and led Le Moyne to the 6-0 victory in the day’s second game. He went all seven innings, striking out eight batters and only walking two (Note: All double header games in college baseball are seven inning games). Can’t ask for a much better way to pick up your first win of the season, now can you?

The Dolphins scored one run in each of the first three innings and then added three more in the top of the seventh to capture the victory in the final game of the weekend. Ben Walsh and Camillo Spinoso led the way for Le Moyne at the plate as they both had two hits apiece, Walsh adding an RBI.

Third baseman Gabe Levanti and left fielder JT Pittman added to the cause, both coming up with RBI singles as well.

The Dolphins now move to 11-6 on the year and will head to Mercy College on Tuesday for yet another doubleheader. Their home opener will also be their NE-10 Conference opener, which will be on Saturday, March 25 as they take on Franklin Pierce University at Dick Rockwell Field. The games will be played at 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.

• Walsh Throws No-Hitter, ‘Phins Win 3 Games over Weekend

It is Time to Say Goodbye, ‘Melo

Opinion

Through My Spectacles: Le Moyne Was Everything

Who’s The 2017 King of Hip-Hop?

Le Moyne Women’s Lacrosse extends win streak to 14

The Middle States Team Comes to Le Moyne for Accreditation Review

New Student Film Luddite to Premiere April 26