Le Moyne Baseball Opens Season with 3-1 Weekend

lemoynedolphins.com
lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

‘Phins baseball headed down to Holly Springs, N.C. this past weekend to compete against two non-conference Division II opponents in their first games on the field in 2017. Le Moyne was able to come out with three victories out of the four games played, defeating Post University once and East Stroudsburg University twice.

In the first game against Post, senior Gabe Levanti and sophomore Camillo Spinoso recorded three hits a piece to lead the Dolphins to a 10-3 rout of the Eagles. The hits started to pile up during the third inning when Le Moyne scored three runs. Sophomore first baseman Nick Place picked up right where he left off last year with a single of his own. Junior left fielder JT Pittman singled and then Camillo Spinoso ripped a double for his second hit of the game, bringing in three runs.

The Dolphins then came back in the fourth inning and scored another trio of runs off a triple from senior right fielder Mark Martin, a double by freshman second baseman Brian O’Mara, and a Levanti double to left center.

The bats continued to be swung in the fifth, with redshirt sophomore third baseman Ben Walsh smashing a double to left center to bring Spinoso home, who previously singled for his third hit of the contest.

Le Moyne registered two runs in the eighth inning to secure their first victory of the season from a single by senior center fielder Donato DiNorcia and a single from Pittman.

Junior reliever Alex Kubera was credited with the win in his first game in a Dolphin uniform after striking out seven batters in the final five innings.

Le Moyne received their only loss of the weekend in the next game, being outscored 4-2. They got on the scoreboard first from a Spinoso double that brought Gray to the plate. The Eagles responded in the fourth inning, evening the score at one apiece.

In the sixth, Post took a 3-1 lead on two hits. Le Moyne responded in the eighth with a solo home run from Nick Place to cut their deficit to 3-2. In the bottom of the eighth, the Eagles regained their two-run lead and went on to claim victory 4-2.

After the loss, the Dolphins rallied to win against East Stroudsburg to get to 2-1 on the year.

In the third inning, the Dolphins scored three runs on two singles from Ben Walsh and Brian O’Mara.

After East Stroudsburg took the lead in the sixth inning, Le Moyne immediately answered. The Dolphins stormed ahead after Nick Place led off with a double, which was followed by a single from Spinoso and topped off by a three-run blast from sophomore Josiah Gray.

Graduate student Sean Pisik earned the win in his debut with Le Moyne after striking out nine over six innings.

The Dolphins went on to defeat East Stroudsburg in their final game on Feb. 19 by a score of 9-6. This makes Le Moyne 3-1 after their first weekend of play. They will travel to Philadelphia this coming weekend to compete against University of the Sciences in Philadelphia in a two-game series.

“We were definitely happy to play as well as we did in our opening weekend,” said Ben Walsh. “We swung the bats very well, except for in the loss to Post, and we look forward to continuing to do so in Philadelphia this weekend.”

• Le Moyne Baseball Opens Season with 3-1 Weekend

Walsh Throws No-Hitter, ‘Phins Win 3 Games over Weekend

Boeing Boeing is Fantastic, Flying Fun: Review

RIP Chuck Berry

Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover

Le Moyne College Does Not Support Gov. Cuomo’s Excelsior Scholarship Plan

Student Debt Increase: How Much Will You Owe?

In Loving Memory of Nicki Minaj

Summer Concerts at the Lakeview Amphitheater

Top Ranked Men’s Basketball Moves on in NE-10 Conference Championships

Who Will and Who Should Win at the Oscars?