How to Own Your Truth

Photo Courtesy of For Harriet

Photo Courtesy of For Harriet

Life is complicated. Things happen, whether they are good or bad. And sometimes when they’re the latter, all we can do is embrace what is happening and own it. In my senior year of college, I have had to embrace more than what I was ever prepared for: a pregnancy.

I know that many people probably wonder how I could let this happen in my senior year; I’ve wondered the same thing many times myself. There are times when I allow myself to absorb what is happening and feel like I’ve really messed up, but then I ask myself, “Where would I be and who would I be if I did not overcome the many obstacles in my life?”

I’m not going to lie, this is by far the hardest thing my body has ever gone through. I am mentally and physically drained beyond words, and while have things to say about my situation, I have never let the hurtful words keep me down. I know I’m not alone, I have support, and it’s encouraging to think about the other people fighting to come out on the other side of their own situations––the many people who have come out on the other side.

Whenever you feel like giving up, remember that there is somebody next to you who may be fighting the same fight, or a fight even worse. Whatever the situation, don’t be ashamed of who you are or what you’re going through. Don’t hide it. Own it, talk about it. Mistakes are a part of life, and some are permanent while others are temporary. But whatever you do, do not let anybody make you feel ashamed for the challenges that will ultimately help you grow as a person.

I am gradually learning that becoming a parent is much harder than the SATs or any of Dr. Ann Ryan’s English classes (Which I have managed to avoid taking for all four years at Le Moyne). I know this, I am aware of it, and have owned up to my mistakes. The best part of this one is that I get to meet the prettiest girl come July and get to experience what it means to bring life into this world.

Despite how my parents initially reacted to my pregnancy, I knew that this was my responsibility and I would not be ashamed of it, because now, it is a part of me. I refuse to allow any situation or person to dictate how I feel about myself, and neither should you.

So in May, I will walk across the stage with the class of 2017. I will walk with all of my problems, all of my struggles, my daughter who will be weighing down my stomach, and that’s okay, because she has pushed me get to this point in so many ways.

We all encounter roadblocks, but we shouldn’t allow them to break us. Sometimes it’ll feel like a lot, and people may look at you differently for it. But ultimately your roadblock is yours to take control of and is yours to turn into something beautiful.

• How to Own Your Truth

Le Moyne Lacrosse Upset by Southern New Hampshire

• How to Own Your Truth

Walsh Throws No-Hitter, ‘Phins Win 3 Games over Weekend

• How to Own Your Truth

Boeing Boeing is Fantastic, Flying Fun: Review

• How to Own Your Truth

RIP Chuck Berry

• How to Own Your Truth

Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover

• How to Own Your Truth

Le Moyne College Does Not Support Gov. Cuomo’s Excelsior Scholarship Plan

• How to Own Your Truth

Student Debt Increase: How Much Will You Owe?

• How to Own Your Truth

In Loving Memory of Nicki Minaj

• How to Own Your Truth

Summer Concerts at the Lakeview Amphitheater

• How to Own Your Truth

Top Ranked Men’s Basketball Moves on in NE-10 Conference Championships

How to Own Your Truth