Let’s Show Bi Pride

Samantha McCormick ‘17, Staff Writer

There are a number of stereotypes attached to the label, “Bisexual”. When someone comes out as bisexual, comments such as, “It’s a phase,” “You’re confused,” or “You’ll just have sex with anyone won’t you?” are often expressed. There’s the false narrative that bisexuals are at the bottom of the LGBTQ spectrum because they’re viewed as not really gay and not really straight. It’s almost as though they’re forced into a purgatory of sexual preference, where they’re never fully understood.

The first understanding of bisexuality as part of the spectrum of human sexual orientation came from scientist Alfred Kinsey. He created the Kinsey Scale in the early 1900s. According to bustle.com, “The Kinsey Scale depicted human sexual behavior as a spectrum from 0 to 6, with 0 being complete heterosexual and 6 being completely homosexual.” At the time, this was groundbreaking news. People who were considered bisexual now had an identification.

But the history of bisexuality goes back way farther than that, with records dating back to Ancient Greece and Japan in the 1800’s. The word itself was coined by Charles Gilbert Chaddock in 1892 and the first out bisexaul actor was cast in the early 1900’s.

Celebrities like Megan Fox, Angelina Jolie, and the late David Bowie have call come out as bisexual. It seems people in today’s world are becoming more and more comfortable with their sexuality, and not letting negative  stereotypes overshadow their authentic selves.

Unfortunately, the stereotypes still persist. There’s still the notion that bi women just want to have sex all the time, with both sexes; and that bi men aren’t “real men” because of their sexual preferences. There’s also the belief that if you’re a woman who has had sex with more men than women, then you’re not bi enough and just confused. The same goes for men as well. Supposedly there’s this spectrum of bisexuality, where sleeping with more people from the opposite sex determines your level of bisexuality. Yeah, that’s actually a thing.

It gets even worse, because that same understanding can be turned around. If you’re a woman that has been with more women than men, you’re considered hot and promiscuous. And if you’re a man that has been with more men, you’re actually not bi and just trying to hide the fact that you’re gay. You really just can’t win.

The most basic and common belief about any bisexual person is that they’re easy, confused, disguising their true selves, or just lying altogether. But why does anyone care what your sexual orientation is, especially when it has nothing to do with them? Why can’t people just be who they are and who they want to be? It’s really not that complicated.

Although you can’t mute the haters, you can still walk with your head held high and know who you are. If you’re bisexual, you understand that you were born that way; it isn’t some way to get more action and it most certainly doesn’t make you less of a person. To quote one of the best LGBTQ anthems by Lady Gaga, “No matter gay, straight, or bi/lesbian, transgendered life/I’m on the right track baby/I was born to survive.”

• Let’s Show Bi Pride

Who Will and Who Should Win at the Oscars?

• Let’s Show Bi Pride

Trump scales back Obama’s climate, water rules with executive orders

• Let’s Show Bi Pride

“Heathers” Is Messed Up, Big Fun: Review

• Let’s Show Bi Pride

Roberts Voted as Best Freshman in Division II Women’s Basketball

• Let’s Show Bi Pride

The Best Performances of This Year’s Grammys

• Let’s Show Bi Pride

Le Moyne Men’s Basketball Still Rollin’

• Let’s Show Bi Pride

Le Moyne Paid Over $670,000 to Falcone-Owned Business for Construction

• Let’s Show Bi Pride

I Will Not Go Away

• Let’s Show Bi Pride

The Beyhive Celebrates Black Herstory Month

• Let’s Show Bi Pride

A Walk to Remember

Let’s Show Bi Pride