It’s the Final Countdown

Rachel Chea ‘17, Opinion Editor

Remember in high school when you’d count down the days until summer, when you could be free from the chains of your school desk? You couldn’t wait to be free of high school and all the things that come along with it: the drama, the people that brought the drama, your projected high school image…. By the time senior year came around you couldn’t wait to leave high school because that meant college, and college meant a fresh start with more freedom and new experiences.

Everybody says that college is supposed to be, and will be, the best four years of your life. When you enter college as a baby freshman, I’m sure you heard it a thousand times: “The next four years will fly by and you should treasure every minute of it.”

I never really took it to heart when people told me to enjoy my college years. I thought they were just trying to scare me or that it was just said to make the idea of college less intimidating. Either way, it turns out they were right. I was a freshman yesterday, and today, I am a senior.

During my first two years at Le Moyne, I was always under the impression that I’d have all this time to enjoy the last half of my college career. Then junior year came, and everything went into turbo speed. Studying abroad in the Spring of my junior year didn’t help time go any slower either. Then came Fall 2016, and while it registered at some points that it was my last fall semester, it still didn’t seem that real.

The imminency of graduation and entering the real world wasn’t a reality until I walked into Reilly Hall at the beginning of this semester to see a largely framed countdown staring me right in the face, reminding me of how many days I had left to stay in the comfort of Le Moyne. As if I hadn’t heard it enough from my family that I needed to start thinking of a plan, now I’m constantly reminded of my impending future every time I walk into Reilly.

What made this realization even more tangible was 100 Nights. Last Friday, the majority of the senior class got all dressed up and celebrated 100 more nights together. It was nice to see everybody together, in one big space having fun. What made it even better was seeing people who I hardly ever see anymore because of our crazy and different schedules, different living arrangements, or not having classes together.

Now, whenever I walk into Reilly, I won’t see a three digit countdown. We’re down to double digits. While that scares me even more, it also excites me because while college really has been some of the best years of my life, I’m ready to be done with school and see what else is out there. It’s a big world, which means there is much to experience and much to explore.

But in this moment, right now, I’m trying to appreciate the last days in a place where I matured intellectually and personally, and made a phamily out of the people Le Moyne has brought into my life.

• It’s the Final Countdown

• It’s the Final Countdown

• It’s the Final Countdown

• It’s the Final Countdown

It is Time to Say Goodbye, ‘Melo

• It’s the Final Countdown

Opinion

Through My Spectacles: Le Moyne Was Everything

• It’s the Final Countdown

Who’s The 2017 King of Hip-Hop?

• It’s the Final Countdown

Le Moyne Women’s Lacrosse extends win streak to 14

• It’s the Final Countdown

• It’s the Final Countdown

The Middle States Team Comes to Le Moyne for Accreditation Review

• It’s the Final Countdown

New Student Film Luddite to Premiere April 26

It’s the Final Countdown