Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

Dan 'Buddah' Snyder '14, Cheers and Jeers Writer

So it’s May. Uh, well, that was fast. I’ll tell you it sure doesn’t feel like it. From a time standpoint or a weather standpoint. If you asked anyone what month it was without looking at a calendar, they would probably say late September or early October. Seriously though! What is it with the weather? Sure, the temperatures aren’t subfreezing, but somedays it sure feels like it. This time last year I remember sitting with the “Hill Crew” watching a ballgame in shorts and a T-shirt. If anyone remembers my fashion, I would wear khaki shorts all year round. This is the longest I’ve gone into the season wearing jeans. But anyway- I still haven’t received those inquiries for next years C&J writer – so the price has been dropped to $10

Cheer of the week: The Wizard

Meteorologists have a tough time predicting the weather, and when you’re in charge of planning one of the biggest days of the year based off of their predictions, there is a lot of pressure. But I think Tommy made the right choice here. Yes, the circumstances were sudden and having Dolphy Day two days before break on a Monday seemed out of the ordinary, but look at the forecast for this next week and beyond. Fifties and raining most days with the occasional sixty. If we waited till May, everyone would be complaining like they did two years ago on how it was too close to finals time. Like everyone should, I’m gonna back up Mr. Barrett here and say that he made a wise decision. I’d rather it be 70’s and windy than 50’s and rainy.

Jeer of the Week: Donald Sterling

I was told not to cheer and jeer about sports, but this is bigger than sports. Sports have the ability to unite people under one common goal. Donald Sterling, owner of the Los Angeles Clippers in the NBA, set that goal back significantly. I’m not going to repeat what he said as it would get me fired and possibly sued for discrimination. Sterling has the reputation of a terrible owner and as a terrible person. I find it ironic that before these comments of racism were made, Sterling was in line to receive an award from the NAACP. Needless to say, that award has been rescinded and he will be under scrutiny from not only the NBA, but from the country as a whole. When the President of the United States makes comments on your actions, you either did something commendable, or irreconcilable.  The NBA is currently deciding on what to do with Sterling and I’m going to assume he won’t be owning an NBA franchise for much longer.

Cheers to outdoor activities

Remember shoveling snow? Clearing off your car and sitting in it waiting for the windows to defrost? Well I do, and it was miserable. Now that the weather is getting nicer out more and more students are trying to enjoy what is left of the semester. Sure, it’s not the 70s that everyone is praying for, but c’mon, this is Syracuse were talking about. The average temperature is in the 60s this time of year… so take it for what it’s worth. If you feel stressed out from the end of the semester shenanigans, go outside and toss a football or frisbee around, hang out with friends, or just go for a walk. You’ll feel a lot better and then studying won’t completely drain you.

Jeers to Drake

So Y.O.L.O. came and went, or is it still around? I don’t know. That phrase has already corrupted the minds of too many people by giving them extra lives. Video game jokes aside, Drake is at it again. Last week, Drake made an appearance at a National Basketball Association playoff game. At the Brooklyn Nets and the Toronto Raptors, the rapper was seen on the sidelines breaking one of fashions unwritten rules. Taking a page out of Jay-Z’s song book he decided to brush the dirt off his, well, not shoulder but instead legs. Now the normal method would be to take your hand and literally brush off the dirt. However, Drake grabs a lint roller and begins cleaning his leg. C’mon man! You’re out in public and visible on national TV, and you begin lint rolling your leg? You can do that at home. That’s almost as bad as Justin Bieber yawning at a game while sitting courtside.

• Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

Walsh Throws No-Hitter, ‘Phins Win 3 Games over Weekend

• Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

Boeing Boeing is Fantastic, Flying Fun: Review

• Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

RIP Chuck Berry

• Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover

• Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

Le Moyne College Does Not Support Gov. Cuomo’s Excelsior Scholarship Plan

• Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

Student Debt Increase: How Much Will You Owe?

• Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

In Loving Memory of Nicki Minaj

• Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

Summer Concerts at the Lakeview Amphitheater

• Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

Top Ranked Men’s Basketball Moves on in NE-10 Conference Championships

• Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014

Who Will and Who Should Win at the Oscars?

Cheers and Jeers – 05.01.2014