Branded Content

Heathers the Musical: Preview

Abbey Adams, Guest Writer

The teen murder/drama movie Heathers was released in March of 1988, starring Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, and Shannen Doherty. Set in high school, the main character Veronica is a part of a mean girls-esque clique. After she and her new boyfriend JD accidentally poison the clique leader, a murder spree ensues and Veronica starts to realize that JD might not be so good after all. Le Moyne’s drama department will be sure to spark some conversation with the musical take on Heathers coming out soon.

Veronica, played by sophomore Morgan Smith, takes on a leading presence throughout the show. “Veronica is one of the most fascinating characters that I have ever played,” says Smith.

“This was a neat experience as an actor.”

The array of emotions wrapped up in Heathers is a fascinating thing to witness; Smith says she got the chance to grow as an artist and feels privileged to be involved with the whole process. Heathers sheds a light on what it’s like to be a high school mean girl who believes wholeheartedly in her “coolness”. But what does it actually mean to be mean and cool? Smith says, “If we can provoke these questions through storytelling, then I’ll be extremely proud.”

The W. Carroll Coyne Performing Arts Center is bringing this story to life with a fun and talented cast and crew who have been working for months on perfecting the show. Guest Director Amy Fritsche has never worked with the Le Moyne VPA before and says, “I am impressed with the passion of the students. They love the musical! Therefore, it is very easy to create this show with them.”

Fritsche is balancing her full-time job at Kent State University while directing the musical, which has provided an added struggle for everyone involved. But, she says, “The students and crew have been wonderful to work with!”

There’s no denying that Heathers is going to be a riot, while also dealing with some testy subject matter. Fritsche describes the show using one word: “dichotomy.” This directly translates to “a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different.”

This will be Greg Giovanini’s first time directing music for a production. He says, “I think it’s a terrific show and I thoroughly enjoy working with the students on it. We have a fantastic cast, and they are making great progress.” Giovanini thinks Heathers will be a hit with audiences, reminding them of “the humor and wild styles of the 80’s.”

Heathers will be performed Feb. 17, 18, 23, 24 and 25. All showings will be at 8 p.m., while the 25th will have a 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. showing. Tickets can be found online at lemoyne.edu/arts or by calling 445-4200.

*THIS SHOW HAS CHALLENGING SUBJECT MATTER AND IS FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY. For a description of the types of material dealt with, go to themusicalheathers.com.

• Branded Content

Walsh Throws No-Hitter, ‘Phins Win 3 Games over Weekend

• Branded Content

Boeing Boeing is Fantastic, Flying Fun: Review

• Branded Content

RIP Chuck Berry

• Branded Content

Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover

• Branded Content

Le Moyne College Does Not Support Gov. Cuomo’s Excelsior Scholarship Plan

• Branded Content

Student Debt Increase: How Much Will You Owe?

• Branded Content

In Loving Memory of Nicki Minaj

• Branded Content

Summer Concerts at the Lakeview Amphitheater

• Branded Content

Top Ranked Men’s Basketball Moves on in NE-10 Conference Championships

• Branded Content

Who Will and Who Should Win at the Oscars?

Branded Content